My gaming group is starting a new game based on pirates in 1600’s Jamaica. As a token of my appreciation for Ken, our previous game master who ran a terrific Wild West + Call of Cthulu mashup game, I’ve painted Barnabus as a gift. Ken put a CRAZY amount of detail and work into his game for the year and a half we were playing it. He included all kinds of historical references, actual people from the 1850’s, and real places and artifacts. He must be a history buff, cuz he knows his shit.
This mini is another from Reaper. I like this sculpt very much, as it involves a pose that integrates the terrain so nicely.
I went monochromatic with various desaturated greens. At one point I had bright green on the sash, and it really jarred against the rest of the paint scheme. I’m learning that some flaw in my painting or color mixing technique makes all my colors desaturate when I shade and highlight them. On this mini it was on purpose, but even on my other minis, I cannot often avoid it.
The sword blade is actually TMM (true metal metallic), but I’ve mixed the silver with blue and shaded it with brown/black glaze, so it doesn’t show like typical TMM. The rest of the metals are Bronze + brown wash + bronze + gold + silver. Body armor has an added layer of purple wash to help bring out more detail.
This is a pair of Reaper’s 03662 Griffons. One will be given to a friend as a gift, the other will go in my display cabinet.
I agonized over the wings for a long time, wondering how to cover those large surfaces, whether I should do more fancy patterning on them, should I make them identical or different… The light wings were a little too blank, so I did the dark feather tips. The dark wings had enough detail to satisfy me with the highlighting, so I didn’t do any further detail work on them. I was much more interested to do the lion bodies, which I wasn’t sure I could pull off well, but I’m happy with these results.
This mini was part of the Barkan-Seesholtz collection. It was made by RAFM Miniatures in their “Death Angels” series; RAFM RAF03896 Winged Reaper. My original concept was to put the reaper in a field of tall grass at night. So the colors would all be very dark with moonlight highlighting, grass approximately 1/2″ long blanketing the base, maybe looking like it was swaying in the breeze.
When trying to figure out how to execute, I came up with the idea of using fur cloth. I got a chunk of some shaggy brown fur cloth and attempted to airbrush it black. That went ok as far as it went, but the fur fibers were too thin to look like grass, even after I gave it a haircut to trim it down to the length I wanted. There was no good way to stick fibers together the make thicker,more grass-like strands. Also, cutting the cloth caused lots of fur to to fall out around the cut edges, which revealed the cloth mesh that holds the fur. After I got the fur painted and stuck to the base and highlighted with dark blue-purple, it ended up looking more like some strange smoke, or maybe fire, but not grass. So I ripped it off tried again with another piece of fur, was dissatisfied with the results again.
There are several tutorials on YouTube about making miniature grass for dioramas, but not the tall field grass I was after. Making a field of short grass with static grass is easy enough, and making long tufts of grass (like what I ended up using in the end) is simple, but have have not yet found any scheme for making anything akin to a field of tall prairie grass.
So what I ended up with was the Reaper in a snowy field, with some tufts of field grass sticking up out of the snow.
My nephew picked out this Reaper mini as a birthday gift (or maybe it was a Christmas present, not sure now.) I painted it up for him.
These are Reaper minis sculpted by Tre Manor. One orc is never enough. Four orcs is never enough. But I’ll never have the patience to paint 20 or 30, so this will be all I paint for the foreseeable future. I like Tre Manor’s stuff a lot. He has his own mini company now, Red Box Games, and all the stuff there is really nice.
77056: Orc Sniper, 77059: Orc Berserker, 77051: Orc Stalker, 77045: Orc Hunter
This is Reaper’s version of the D&D Beholder. The Beholder is an iconic Dungeons and Dragons monster. The name is even kept as IP by Wizards of the Coast, which is why Reaper has to call this model “Eye Beast” instead of Beholder.
The original base is kind of crummy, so I cut it off and sculpted one with Green Stuff, complete with some green slime dripping down the walls. It’s intended to look like he’s hovering in a tunnel deep in the Underdark somewhere. I modeled the color scheme on Eric Louchard’s Nautiloid Chrysalid from AnitMatter Games.
The characters in our AD&D campaign had to fight lots of these guys. They were quite a challenge. The ability of devils to summon more devils makes things difficult. Their magical at-will abilities to cause fear, fly, and create illusions, along with their strength-sapping attacks and poisoned tail spike give the characters fits.
I gave this Reaper mini a base of skulls, and then added a bit of blood so things didn’t look quite so…dry. He came with a pair of raggedy wings that I decided to leave off.
For this beauty, I followed the painting scheme that Scott Hockley describes for his Preacher from the Kingdom Death miniature range. He has a wonderful way of doing sheer cloth, which I tried to emulate in Amiryth’s stockings.
I’m really happy with how this Reaper mini turned out. I tried a glazing method described by Eric Louchard of Antimatter Games. I was a bit more patient with this mini than I am with most, so my blending is smoother than usual. The original mini’s face is angled down, so it isn’t easy to see. I built up the front of his base to tip the mini up so that you can see his face better. I think it works.